recent posts

Your Revolution

Inspired by Gil Scott-Heron’s “The Revolution Will Not Be Televised”


"your revolution will not happen between these thighs
your revolution will not happen between these thighs
the real revolution
ain’t about booty size
the Versaces you buys
or the Lexus you drives
and though we’ve lost Biggie Smalls
your Notorious revolution
will never allow you to lace no lyrical douche in my bush
your revolution will not be you killing me softly with Fugees
your revolution won’t knock me up and produce li’l future MCs
because that revolution will not happen between these thighs
your revolution
will not find me in the
backseat of Jeep with LL
hard as hell
doin’ it & doin’ it & doin’ it well
your revolution will not be you
smackin’ it up, flippin’ it, or rubbin’ it down
nor will it take you downtown or humpin’ around
because that revolution will not happen between these thighs
your revolution will not have me singing
ain’t no nigger like the one I got
your revolution will not be you
sending me for no VD shot
your revolution will not involve me feeling your nature rise
or helping you fantasize
because that revolution will not happen between these thighs
and no, my Jamaican brother, your revolution
will not make me feel boombastic and really fantastic
have you groping in the dark for that rubber wrapped in plastic
your revolution will not be me tossing my weave
making believe I’m some caviar-eating, ghetto mafia clown
or me givin’ up my behind just so I can get signed
have someone else write my rhymes?
I’m Sarah Jones, not Foxy Brown
your revolution makes me wonder, where could we go
if we could drop the empty pursuit of props and the ego
revolt back to our Roots, use a little Common sense on a Quest
to make love De La Soul, no pretense … but
your revolution will not be you flexing your sex and status
to express what you “feel”
your revolution will not happen between these thighs
will not happen between these thighs
will not be you shaking and me faking between these thighs
because the revolution, when it finally comes, is gon’ be real!"
Sarah Jones

This poem focus on the propensity of men trying to change the present society in their favour. It covers several aspects, from sexual relations, show off male and female behaviour to financial status.

First, the "so wanted" man revolution won't happen to her because she is too determined and independent, and she states that a real revolution it's not about appearance and material things.

Secondly, men trying to woo a woman with rap world's accomplishments is out of the question. Even though there are big names in the rap industries that's not her dream man or dream life, and she will not sacrifice her conscience for a couple minutes of fame. She is not willing to do sexual activities just to please a man regardless his social status. She definitely makes a statement that being a man takes more than that, so she is not going to give them their worth if they don't mean anything to her.

She worries about the future and advises people to be more humble and more down to heart in order to progress. There is a comparison between faking an orgasm and the revolution man are hoping for, and it is not going to happen because the actual revolution is going to be real.

Your Revolution Your Revolution Reviewed by Anônimo on abril 17, 2013 Rating: 5

Nenhum comentário:

top navigation

Tecnologia do Blogger.

About me

I am willing to share my own stories and use my platform to talk about movies, books, music, volunteering, traveling and relationships.

My first publication was a fiction novel ‘Sem Valor’ (meaning Worthless) where I addressed autism and prostitution; wrote a short-fiction story ‘Hello. My name is Thulani’ featured on ‘Aerial 2018’ about transgender issues and represents an allegory of identity crisis, meaning everyone is in transition to something; co-authored with six African authors on a motivational book ‘Destiny Sagacity’ about the power of destiny; my memoir ‘The story is about me’ tells my adventures volunteering in Uganda and staying with a family in the village of Wakiso; and my recent offering “Read my Book’ is a fictional approach to apartheid.

Formulário de contato

Nome

E-mail *

Mensagem *

Pesquisar este blog

Featured Post

Featured Post

Translate

Popular Posts